Thursday, March 01, 2012

Johnathan Schaffer: "The debasing demon"

Here is my summary of one of Schaffer's arguments and then my corresponding argument against his. I'm not very confident in my argument against his but I had a lot of trouble coming up with one. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
- Kelly MacWilliam

Section 1: The argument as presented in Johnathan Schaffer’s article entitled “The debasing demon”

1) If I know proposition p then I have a true belief properly based on the evidence.

2) Any belief can be produced on an improper basis.

3) The debasing demon makes it is always possible, when a belief is produced on an improper basis, for it to seem later as if one had produced a belief properly based on the evidence.

4) If (3) and (2) then I might be wrong about how I came to believe p.

5) Therefore, I might be wrong about how I came to believe p.

6) If (5) then I do not know that p.

7) Therefore, I do not know that p.

8) If (7) and (3) then for any proposition p, I do not know it.

9) Therefore, for any proposition p, I do not know it.

Section 2: My argument against Schaffer’s argument rejecting premise (8)

10) Either I am in the debasing demon scenario or I am not in the debasing demon scenario.

11) If I am in the debasing demon scenario then for any proposition p, I do not know it.

12) If I am not in the debasing demon scenario then if I have a belief that p, and p is true, and I believe the p on the basis of properly based evidence then I know it.

13) If (12) then (8) is false.

14) Therefore (8) is false.

2 Comments:

Blogger Max W said...

I seemingly can't create a new post, so Kelly, if you don't mind I'll piggy back on your post since we're doing the same paper.

My argument for The Debasing Demon:

Schaffer's Argument:

1: If I know T (A), then I can know that I know T (B)
2: If I can know that I know T (B), then I can know that my belief of T is properly based (C)
3: If I know T (A), then I can know that my belief of T is properly based (C) (HS 2, 3).
4: I cannot know that my belief of T is properly based (~C)
5: I do not know T (~A) (MT 4, 5).


Response to Schaffer:

1: ~(If I know T [A], then I can know that I know T [B])
2: If I can know that I know T (B), then I can know that my belief of T is properly based (C)
3: ~(If I know T [A], then I can know that my belief of T is properly based [C] [HS 2, 3]).
4: I cannot know that my belief of T is properly based (~C)
5: ~(I do not know T [~A] [MT 4, 5]).

(Works referenced: The Debasing Demon [Schaffer], Debasing Scepticism [Brueckner])

3:42 PM  
Blogger kmac420 said...

Oh damn, I got all excited thinking that someone had thoughts about my argument. Way to burst my bubble Max! But seriously I don't mind at all.

I'm a bit confused about the notation that you use in your response to Schaffer. Specifically the '~'s. Would premise 1 (of your argument) read, 'It is not the case that: If I know T [A], then I can know that I know T [B]'?

You should renumber the premises of your arg. 6-10 or 1a-5a or something different than Schaffer's arg.!

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home